Thursday, April 17, 2014

Project Run & Play: Season 9, Week 4 - Signature Style

Signature Style Challenge is definitely my favorite.
(Here is a description of my style from last year.)
I try to tackle the most challenging sewing projects during this week. 
But this time it almost turned out to be MISSION IMPOSSIBLE - Almost!


 I started sketching and drafting this trench 4 or 5 weeks ago. 
Wow, this was a labor of love (and hate)!


If I was gonna draft and sew the whole trench coat, it had to be a real deal, 
nothing short of an adult Burberry trench :)


When I started searching for the fabric, I didn't find anything that I liked in the local stores. 
So I had to improvise. 
I hit the thrift store and got so lucky when I found a man's large trench in an excellent condition. 
I cut it up into fabric pieces. I thought I'd have enough for two 3T coats, but boy was I wrong.
I had to get really creative to accommodate all my pattern pieces.


Almost every seam has four lines of stitching 
(initial straight stitch, zig-zag seam finishing, and two top stitching). 


I started with a generic dress pattern to copy basic proportions of the bodice and then really went to town...
I created double-breasted front, princess seams, two-panel sleeves, linings, facings, gun flap, storm flap, wrist straps, shoulder tabs, belt loops (at the waist, arms and shoulders), collar stand, collar, belt, 
bound button-holes and what not....


I so hate my button hole maker foot, I was excited to try the bound button holes out. 
I'm very happy with the final result, but it was so much work!


I had to find 15 matching buttons, which turned out to be impossible. 
I bought what they had and thought I'd improvise. Luckily, it took me so long to finish this coat, my local store refilled its stock of these buttons, so I got missing buttons at the last minute!


 I wanted to add unique design elements to the classic trench, 
so I drafted the storm flap and pocket flap with interesting pleat details and added buttons at the center.


 I embroidered a little message & my logo onto the facing. 
I made sure to add strong loop for hanging the coat. 


It took me many hours of internet research and browsing through some odd patterns I own to figure out the lining+facing the way I wanted. LOVE the result!


I tied the belt at the back since it's much flattering that way on little kids.


I LOVE THE FIT of this TRENCH! Don't you agree it's spot on?!!


 OK, I think sewing an elaborate trench coat is worth a three piece outfit, but still, I couldn't help myself to create at least another piece for the look. After all, it is Project Run & Play Signature Style Week!


So I made a nice summer tunic. 


This is basically the same self-drafted pattern as the last year's signature style dress.
I elongated the bodice with its princess seams. Added length only to the inner side of the side panel and gathered at the shoulders for a new look. 


I added a mini pompom trim at the gathered shoulders and a twill tape to tie at the back.
The tunic closes at the back with a single snap fastener.


 And that's it.
Can't wait for the next season of Project Run and Play!!!







31 comments:

  1. The fit on that jacket is "spot on." To think you also made bound buttonholes really adds to the overall design if you ask me....5 stars for effort...5 stars for a beautiful finished project!
    Deborah @ Sew Much To Give

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I just wish she won't have a huge growth spurt this summer so she can wear it in the fall...

      Delete
  2. Really cute! I just love it! Great job

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, beautiful job! I would never undertake a project like that - especially for a child - they grow too fast! But kudos to you - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't agree more about them growing too fast! Still, I just can't help myself.... On how I hope she still fits in this trench in the fall!

      Delete
  4. WOW! You should definitely be a full-on contestant next time. Your workmanship looks impeccable! Cutest trench coat in the history of trench coats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too sweet!!! THANKS! Whenever I sew something I try my best to make it perfect, that's both a blessing and a curse though...

      Delete
  5. Oh my, that is beautiful! Very nice work! You and The Crazy Tailor have got me seriously thinking about trying bound button holes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do look very professional, however I don't know if I'd try tackling them again if I had a machine that did perfect little buttonholes automaticly.

      Delete
  6. This is the most beautiful trench coat I have ever seen, Sopo!! Congrats on the PR&P win...well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I tried incorporating everything I'd have liked to see on my trench coat but in a miniature size. =) Congratulations on the release of amazing new patterns! That raincoat is gorgeous! I'm definitely happy I waited before choosing my prizes! I'll be in touch =)

      Delete
  7. Oh, wow, that trench coat is amazing! I really love the added detail on the storm flap and pocket flaps with the pleating. And that tunic is clever... I love the gathered shoulders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I wanted a classic trench, but I had to make it my own, that's when I came up with those pleated flaps. I'm so happy hour they turned out!

      Delete
  8. Amazing coat! I want one for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful work on this trench. I just finished one and there are so many steps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I agree, soo many steps... but so worth it!...

      Delete
  10. Thanks! What kind of fabric did you use? If I was sewing for myself, I have no idea where I'd get the right fabric...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that is amazing. You did a great job there. I am astounded by that trench.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Incredible!!! I'm amazed with your work! WOW WOW you definitly deserved to win!

    Rita @ www.conversasdehermanas.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. "MADE WITH LOVE" says it all, a Mom's many hours cutting & sewing this TRENCH COAT & TUNIC. FAB photo shoot & especially the close-up shots show excellent details. Thanks for sharing. Sarah Helene in Minneapolis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah, I'm always interested in the details when I read others' blog posts, so I tried to show them here, plus the inside is always so interesting as well.

      Delete
  14. That coat is fantastic! Wow. Looks like it was made by a designer. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just so you know, this trench is AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete